Reduction of Environmentally Hazardous Substances
The Lintec Group complies with relevant laws and regulations in and outside Japan and strives to reduce its use of chemical substances that have an impact on the environment.
Compliance with PRTR★
In fiscal 2021, Lintec used 6,944 tons of toluene, xylene, and other substances designated under the PRTR law.
Toluene accounted for around 98%, the largest portion of the total amount, standing at 6,800 tons, up 186 tons from the previous year. Emissions of toluene into the atmosphere came to 434 tons, up 35 tons from the year before, and the transferred amount was 516 tons, up 20 tons. The increases in the overall amounts of use and emissions were due to the recovery of production.
Lintec has installed treatment facilities to reduce atmospheric emissions of organic solvents, and is making efforts to maintain their performance, which include conducting checks and cleaning and measuring emission concentrations on a regular basis.
- ★PRTR: Formally named the Act on Confirmation, etc. of Release Amounts of Specific Chemical Substances in the Environment and Promotion of Improvement to the Management Thereof.
Emission and transfer of toluene FY2021
Change in emission and transfer of toluene
Slide to view.
|Quantity transferred (t)
- Note: Elimination rate=eliminated amount (handing amount-transferred amount)×100
Management of chemical substances, compliance with EU regulations
Lintec has specified substances subject to environmental impact examinations, and examines these substances in the purchasing raw materials. The company properly grasps and manages its use of chemical substances to comply with
related laws and regulations, and communicates information to customers.
Under the REACH Regulation*, additional substances have been included in the Candidate List of substances of very high concern (SVHCs), for which information must be communicated. As a result of the 27th update, there are now a total of 224 SVHCs on the List (as of June 10, 2022).
As new substances are added to the List in the future, we will promptly obtain the proper information and take action accordingly.
We are also switching over to materials containing no phthalate esters to provide products that are friendly to the environment, while stepping up our efforts to manage chemical substances contained in our products.
- ★REACH Regulation: A chemical substance regulation in the EU on the "Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemicals". Registration is required when exporting a chemical substance into EU states in quantities of one metric ton or more per year. Notification must also be submitted to the authorities when a chemical substance falling under the category of "candidate for required authorization" is present in a product at more than 0.1 percent of the mass of the object.
Product Information Flow
Chemical Leak Drills
The Lintec Group conducts chemical spill drills at plants and research centers that handle chemical substances. The drills aim to familiarize employees with actions required to be taken in the event of a chemical spill, including
immediate initial actions, steps to prevent possible secondary disasters, such as a spill extending to outside the premises, soil contamination, and fire, and safe methods of clearing the contaminated area.
In fiscal 2021, drills were carried out at nine business sites, excluding the Head Office, which does not handle organic solvents defined by the Industrial Safety and Health Act. The total number of participants was 1,000.
- Message from the President
- Hightlight: Sustainability Promotion System
- Sustainability at Lintec
- Lintec Group's Stories about Solving Social Issues
- Materiality and KPIs
- Overview of the Lintec Group
- Value Chain and Stakeholders
- Lintec in Everyday Life
- Environmental Report
- Environmental Management System
- Developing Environmentally Friendly Products
- Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation
- Reducing Waste
- Measures to Reduce Water Usage and Effluent
- Reduction of Environmentally Hazardous Substances
- Environmental Accounting
- Environmental Data of Group Companies Outside of Japan
- Relationship between Lintec and the Environment
- Social Report
- Providing Value to Customers
- Cooperating with Suppliers
- Together with Employees (Human Rights / Employment)
- Together with Employees (Human Resource Development)
- Together with Employees (Safety and Disaster Prevention)
- Together with Local Communities
- Together with Shareholders
- Communicating with Stakeholders
- Governance Report
- CSR Activities at Group Companies in and outside of Japan
- SDGs-related Initiatives
- Information Disclosure Based on TCFD Recommendations
- Download Report
- Corporate Policies
- Code of conduct
- Safety and Health
- Quality, Environment and Business Continuity
- Internal Control
- Editorial Policy
- Third-Party Opinion
- Third-Party Verification
- Performance Data
- GRI Index
- External evaluations